I'm secretly a ninja...but shhhhh.

Thursday, June 21, 2012

KInetic Typography Reflection


Title: Safe & Sound

Media: Adobe Flash CS4 & Adobe Illustrator CS4

Design Choices: I wanted to keep my Kinetic Typography simple, I used 3 fonts but mainly stuck with Calisto. I wanted my typography to look fragile and a little eerie as well. This also explains the choice of the old paper in the background.

Challenges & Solutions: The hardest part of my typography was definitely the chorus when I had the words Safe and Sound spell out in a script font. I had to take these words into Illustrator and slowly remove bits at the end until the whole word disappeared, and then convert each layer to a frame in Flash. Even though this became a lot of work, I was very happy with the end product.

Likes & Dislikes: To be honest, I don’t like my final product. Whenever I make something, I know that it’s not meeting my expectations. That being said, I don’t hate the whole thing. There are certain parts of the video that I thought stood out a lot. I could see my video progressing in quality as the video went on; therefore I thought the animations I did at the end were very effective and looked good. I put a lot of work into the chorus too, which I loved.
I’m not sure exactly what I would change.
Overall, I would look at the whole typography and re-do anything that doesn’t go with my concept. I found that the beginning and middle of the typography looked like I was just bringing words in for fun (which isn’t entirely false). I don’t want my work to look like that, I want to produce quality work and I know the only way to do that is to constantly practice. I don’t think I would make any revisions on this typography simply because it was my first one and I want to see how much I can improve in the future.
Generally, this project was a lot of fun, in fact the whole typography unit in general was probably one of the most interesting and valuable units I’ve learned in my whole career so far as a student.


No comments:

Post a Comment

F[a_, L_, r_, s_, t_] := Table[ {-(r + s*Cos[t])^n*Sin[n*a], (r + s*Cos[t])^n*Cos[n*a]}, {n, 0, L}] V := {{1.45631, 556, .995, .003}, {2.94712, 502, .998, .001}, {4.50891, 485, .9955, .0025}, {4.9367, 630, .997, .002}} Table[ ListAnimate[ Table[ Graphics[ Polygon[ F[Part[Part[V, G], 1], Part[Part[V, G], 2], Part[Part[V, G], 3], Part[Part[V, G], 4], t]], PlotRange -> 1, ImageSize -> 250], {t, 0, 2 Pi, 2 Pi/40}]], {G,1,4,1}