I'm secretly a ninja...but shhhhh.

Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Chess Piece



Imagine this, you’re sitting at your computer, on a word document, and well…you have nothing written down. Well basically, that’s how I manage to come up with great openings, but this time it didn’t really work out as well as I hoped. I am now going to touch upon on my above chess piece. Enjoy ☺
For this assignment, we were to create a chess piece that looked as life like as possible, really looking at the little details and finding the light patterns. The shading was to be exact and precise. Once we were done with that, the background was a matter of pattern, rhythm and balance with line.
First, I’ll start with the chess piece. I think that my pawn came out as an acceptable piece. I looked carefully at the lighting patterns and I think that the shading was quite close to the original. If there was one thing that I would change it would be the way the pawn doesn’t look angled correctly. I would change this because it makes the piece look much more unrealistic and therefore it isn’t as extraordinary as it can be.
In the background I thought that these lines were appropriate with the pawn. Although when played correctly, the pawn can be a strong player, I think the way most people look at it, it is weaker and therefore shouldn’t be resembled as a strong, authoritative piece. This background shows that it is important (by how it pops) but that at the same time it is still looked down on (there is no real story in the background about the pawn).
I created balance in the backdrop by using darker lines for the circles on the top left part of the page and using more of a grey for the lines on the centre/bottom right side, where the chess piece is. I think that the use of repeating different types of line created an interesting pattern; it wasn’t too much to take the critique’s eyes away from the actual chess piece. If there was one thing I would change it would be to make more of a story using the background. I feel that I had the potential to make this project much more intricate and appealing.
Ultimately, I think that this piece worked out very well in the end. I like the way I used the black line through the middle to create rhythm, balance and separation. Now I thought about a creative ending as well, but nothing comes to mind, so I hope you liked my chess piece. ☺

No comments:

Post a Comment

F[a_, L_, r_, s_, t_] := Table[ {-(r + s*Cos[t])^n*Sin[n*a], (r + s*Cos[t])^n*Cos[n*a]}, {n, 0, L}] V := {{1.45631, 556, .995, .003}, {2.94712, 502, .998, .001}, {4.50891, 485, .9955, .0025}, {4.9367, 630, .997, .002}} Table[ ListAnimate[ Table[ Graphics[ Polygon[ F[Part[Part[V, G], 1], Part[Part[V, G], 2], Part[Part[V, G], 3], Part[Part[V, G], 4], t]], PlotRange -> 1, ImageSize -> 250], {t, 0, 2 Pi, 2 Pi/40}]], {G,1,4,1}