I'm secretly a ninja...but shhhhh.

Tuesday, May 8, 2012

The Evolution of the Coke Bottle

I was on StumbleUpon when I came across this picture and I thought I should share it with the few lovely people who happen to pass by my blog. 
At first I wasn't too sure if Coca-Cola even existed in 1899, so I Google-d it. Turns out these were the exact dates when the designs of the bottles changed. Interesting, huh? I like the way you can see the shape/structure of the glass bottles become more and more modern-ized. 
However my favourite part of this picture is the evolution of the logo imprint on the bottles. Faintly you can see the different fonts that changed through the years. I wanted to learn more on the different logos over time  so I found this picture: 




I realized that originally the logo was just the typeface reading "Coca-Cola," which is interesting because whenever I see think of Coca-Cola I always picture the bright red and white logo popping out at me. 
I find it interesting how the company kept the script typeface until now, even after all typefaces became modernized and more "Helvetica-like." The typeface in this logo is called Spencerian Script, and it was developed around the 1840s. At the time, it was a very popular font - most formal writing was done in either this typeface or another similar to it. 
Here is a coupon from 1888, interesting how the red from the newer logo isn't even present in this design. 
I find this fascinating, I hope whoever reads this finds it interesting as well. Have a wonderful day! :)





No comments:

Post a Comment

F[a_, L_, r_, s_, t_] := Table[ {-(r + s*Cos[t])^n*Sin[n*a], (r + s*Cos[t])^n*Cos[n*a]}, {n, 0, L}] V := {{1.45631, 556, .995, .003}, {2.94712, 502, .998, .001}, {4.50891, 485, .9955, .0025}, {4.9367, 630, .997, .002}} Table[ ListAnimate[ Table[ Graphics[ Polygon[ F[Part[Part[V, G], 1], Part[Part[V, G], 2], Part[Part[V, G], 3], Part[Part[V, G], 4], t]], PlotRange -> 1, ImageSize -> 250], {t, 0, 2 Pi, 2 Pi/40}]], {G,1,4,1}