I'm secretly a ninja...but shhhhh.

Sunday, April 29, 2012

Skull Drawing

Our latest project in art was to draw several white items on white cloth - one of those items being a skull. I am very happy with the outcome of this project because I think the shading was done well (mostly on the teacup handle). I really focused on keeping my work very faint at first and not adding too many outlines as there are no outlines in real life - just light against dark and vice versa.
If I had to choose my favourite part of this drawing it would be my teacup handle. I thought the handle looked real and the shadows were perfect. I really concentrated on adding the darker shadow towards the end of the project and keeping it lighter in case I messed up. I am happy with the whole teacup, however I like the handle the best.
I had a lot of trouble with the left side of the skull because it had a lot of details and gaps on it. As time ran out I decided to simplify it instead of struggling and having it ruin the drawing. I am satisfied with what I did because I was still able to show the dark and light areas of the skull. I had a lot of trouble with not smudging the piece - especially when it came time to draw the background. Drawing the shadows of the cloth was very difficult for me, however without them the piece looked as if there was something missing.
The skull drawing project is my favourite from the year thus far. The movement of this drawing is nice because the cloth shadows at the top lead the eye into the centre of the drawing. The shadows are balanced and shapes create a dynamic repetition. Overall, I am happy with this work and glad we were able to do this project.

1 comment:

  1. Very fine work, Jessica! Glad you enjoyed the challenge. Hope you have time to draw over the summer to keep in shape!

    ReplyDelete

F[a_, L_, r_, s_, t_] := Table[ {-(r + s*Cos[t])^n*Sin[n*a], (r + s*Cos[t])^n*Cos[n*a]}, {n, 0, L}] V := {{1.45631, 556, .995, .003}, {2.94712, 502, .998, .001}, {4.50891, 485, .9955, .0025}, {4.9367, 630, .997, .002}} Table[ ListAnimate[ Table[ Graphics[ Polygon[ F[Part[Part[V, G], 1], Part[Part[V, G], 2], Part[Part[V, G], 3], Part[Part[V, G], 4], t]], PlotRange -> 1, ImageSize -> 250], {t, 0, 2 Pi, 2 Pi/40}]], {G,1,4,1}